Sunday, October 19, 2014

Carpé Diem

A couple of months ago I spent a week in hospital with an infected gallbladder. I was very ill and in terrible pain. I couldn't move for the pain and food was out of question. I was scanned and probed and the Doctor decided that antibiotics were preferable to surgery. I think this was based on my condition (as a quadraplegic) and the potential impact of surgery. It was 3 days into my stay and on the 2nd set of antibiotics that I began to feel really low. I had a sense of my mortality and all my plans still unfulfilled, suddenly I was aware I didn't want to remain in the hospital, surrounded by strangers. I wanted to be with people I loved.

On this day,  I was asleep. It was 4am and I was struggling. I was too weak to wake myself and the world began to fade; I realised I needed to come back. I was awoken by Debbie after she woke up to find  me lying very still and I wasn't breathing. I was filled with a sense of gratitude, relief and a little afraid.

I decided I needed to get out of the hospital as soon as I could.

This weekend I had with my children and I loved every minute. I won't see them for 3 months and I will miss them.
Every moment of life is for being.... so be a part of every moment.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, what a scary place to have been in and just a reminder of how fragile our lives can be when we don't have control. Great that Debbie was there at that moment and that you've had the weekend with your children. Trust that you are now making a steady recovery so that your trip to SA will not be jeopardised. Will be praying for you.

Coral Ladwig said...

Wow....you just amaze me Julius. You have such a strong will. I would fall down in a heap but you are up and fighting. I hope you have a lovely time catching up with family and friends in SA. Good luck xxxcoralxxx