Sunday, May 20, 2007

Being told about your children's achievements leaves one bursting with pride and satisfaction. If I had known this perhaps I would have tried harder at school, mmmm, maybe not, I was never that ambitious.

I want my kids to be happy in their skins ,to be well adjusted and to accept who they are.

I have recently had some good news about Alex and Carmen and I never realised what a powerful effect this was. I never like to place "expected achievements " for my kids to attain. I always felt they should enjoy their childhood, do their best in all things and discover who they are. Well when Alex told me recently about an A in maths and full colours for football, followed by Carmen's news today that her netball team won a shield at a tournament; I began bursting with pride. I know why now.

I felt proud and satisfied because of one important fact. It has not been easy for either of them. Alex has had to persevere with football without a father's day to day encouragement and the occasional kick about. For maths, his quiet disposition means he is virtually ignored, in class by teachers .So his achievement here is a credit to his wonderful persevering character.
Carmen has had to fight for a chance to play netball. Against, disdain and selfish behaviour from the better off kids she persevered to make the 3rd team. She continued to be committed and became team captain. At this point she led the team by example and I often overheard other parents remarking about her exceptional playing.

So their achievements have not been easily attained, but through hard work, perseverance and character. That's why I'm proud!

No comments: