Sunday, April 13, 2008

Regret and forgiveness

Do memories invade your mind at inappropriate times ? Do they make you smile and sometimes dry a tear of emotion? Someone once said "live for today " and yet we fret and flounder over the mistakes in our past. We hold on to anger, resent, hate and failure. It succeeds in doing only one thing, it poisons the present and devours happiness.

My ex always speaks to me of her bad life. Debt,work and children problems fill her conversations with me. I am a captive audience in every sense. Unable to interrupt her flow, I sit and wonder about how pretty she is without the scowl and twisted down mouth. Yet she cannot enjoy the good she has because she can't let go her negativity. When will she realise that there is only today, now, tomorrow doesn't exist and yesterday is gone.

I am not advocating we don't prepare for the future, rather that we don't let worry about it,ruin today.

I hate being in this wheelchair, it forces me to be what I am not. I shy from change from crowds and I become reserved. Why? Why give in? I have to live as best I can and with no voice or movement, I just can't do those things. So I do what I can. I have given presentations, I write a blog, I have a small business and I enjoy 3 beautiful children. I am not dead yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read an article in a recent SA You magazine about a young lady who was in a car accident and left paralysed from the neck down. She lives with her two young children. I thought of you and your blog when I read the article. It was quite interesting how she paints with the aid of her computer and has had a couple of exhibitions for her paintings. I wish you had seen this article. In her article, she says she looks after her children because she is not ill and not dead. Her story was tragic but I was in awe of her obvious amazing spirit (like yours).

Anonymous said...

hey! J! , you forgot to mention what a great guy you are!. And a good cook ta boot! . ( once you have dished out your orders ) working long hours at the moment! hope to see you soon!