Saturday, May 10, 2008

Power, PC and People

If any regular readers missed the update last week, that will be because there wasn't one. There wasn't one because I had no PC for a few hours as the power supply broke down and I had to take it in for a replacement. A scary moment. But its OK now. Phew, a device which holds such a prominent place in your life can make you realise how repetitive your day to day routine has become.

I spend many hours in front of the dual screens I have setup in my office. Since being made redundant (or early retirement) because of my disability, I have tried to keep busy. I will never understand the logic of a company that expects and gets your loyalty and commitment but, when circumstances change there is little return of this. Let me explain, companies are made up of people, policies and rules don't count for much ,unless the people in positions of authority apply them. If you are rewarded in one circumstance a change of authority can see you passed over or even ejected. So you can move from having value to having no value. I did when I was disabled. Not immediately. No, I was given loads of support through people in position to do so. When they changed I realised I was finished, my value was zero and I was shown the back door and never mentioned again.

So now I have a small business and I am helping setup a charity for disabled people to improve their lives and also setting up another business doing training for the people who care for the disabled.

So now to the more important stuff... What about fun? Well my fun is doing things to keep busy, my children and my garden.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog especially when you sound so positive. Thanks for the update - we miss you when you don't give us a past week's summary.

Amy said...

Hey there, garden is looking great! We have to fence in all our gardening efforts, not because the plants are wanting to flee, but because our two mutts are uber destructive!
If you get round to it, go check out my Facebook pics, will be putting some updated ones of my kids up soon, and they are so cute...
Loads of love..
Amy