Saturday, June 10, 2006

Well its a new, hot, and bright Saturday. So not a day of slouching in front of a computer. So I won't be here too long!

Yesterday I was meant to attend a check up appointment at Stoke Mandeville Hospital in Aylesbury. Well I had a phone call earlier in the week from Colleen to tell me that the Friday afternoon was Sports day at the girls school. So I cancelled my appointment and went to the school instead. It was a hot and enjoyable. I never saw Carmen's event (Javelin) unfortunately but Ruth did races and shot put which I managed to see. I couldn't stay for the festivities after but it looked good.

It was the 4th aniversary of my accident on Thursday. I am now 4 years old in this new body. Each stage has its own challenges. At no time have I thought ah, this is ok now, I can relax.
I still want to sing and talk effortlessly.
I want a hug that I can participate in with my arms,
I want to write and lie on the couch reading,
I want to walk on the lawn without shoes,
...

Yesterday, as I looked around at the children all doing there thing, I remembered an overwhelming aspect about myself at that age. I was a strong, stocky lad,not athletic and didn't enjoy these Olympian frolics. I never really felt that there was a point really, I preferred tennis and rugby. I also realised ,whilst remembering this, that I always thought that if I wanted to I could eventually do it. Whatever "it"was. I don't feel like that anymore, but most concerning is that I now do what I think I can do. No dreams about travelling around Europe on a bike, I dread the complications of a weekend away.

No comments: