Friday, November 16, 2012

Contemplation

Contemplation
 Stoke Mandeville Hospital Day 10

The day has drawn to a quiet close. The echo of voices and the whooshing sound of powered wheelchairs is the only sound in my room at end of the ward. As i put on some soft jazz I drift into a state of melancholy contemplation.

I realise I not in a happy state but I am open to the feelings and thoughts which wander aimlessly around in my mind. Since Tuesday I have had no voice and I have withdrawn from interaction. Normally an extrovert with gregarious tendency, I never put myself into positions where the quiet inner voice can be heard. Somehow I like it. I am alone in this place but I am not lonely.

This feeling was my experience quite regularly when I spent a year in Antarctica. It is such a magnificent and expansive place that one simply has to be alone to to think while you absorb your surroundings.
Overlooking the bukta (frozen sea salient)

The midnight sun just returning after winter.

Baby icebergs trapped by sea ice


This week I had a series of injections in my neck and biceps to reduce the level of activity in them. This may seem strange namely to paralyse a paralysed man even further. However, if muscles are over active they can mask other movement or just distort the body. The injection is a controlled dose of botulinum toxin, botox, when injected deep into the muscle it goes to work poisoning the are so after a few days the muscle becomes paralysed. I haven't reached that stage yet.

1 comment:

su said...

I think it is a very bad idea to be injecting yourself with such poisons.
I don't see how this could help at all.
I can see why you would want to relax the muscles but to poison them?

Glad you were alone but not lonely.