Monday, September 24, 2007

Where has all the fun gone?

I couldn't sleep last night I was concerned about an incident of extreme selfishness. I went to watch my son play football. The team he trains with played a match. So we get all geared up. He adores football and will do anything to play. He played well the week before and was expecting to play. I don't get to be with Alex like I used to and wanted to watch him.

The match started with Alex as a substitute from there it just got worse. Everyone else was given a part but the coach didn't want to "break the flow " in the team while they were winning. I was disgusted. The competitiveness and the obvious favouritism broke my heart. Why do parents bring selfish ambition to a schoolboy game and lose the main objective which is to take part?

Alex full of expectation.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alex you look so good in your football outfit. What a pity that you weren't given the opportunity to participate in the game. Life is full of disappointments and I can assure you as a parent and grandparent that the hurts are felt as though we were the one pushed aside. Nevertheless, don't lose heart your turn will come and it might be in some other form not as a player!

Anonymous said...

I agree with anonymous above that when your child hurts, you hurt. What a terrible anti-climax for the both of you. Alex does indeed look so handsome and smart in his outfit and the disappointment must have been just too much. I think that the coach needs to be reminded about the old sayings of "Winning, but NOT at all costs", and that it's not about the winning so much as how you won. I'll hold thumbs for you playing next time.

Anonymous said...

Hi J!,tell Alex to stick at it! my mates boy had the same problem!. He now plays for Chelsea! Steve Sidwell,see you soon bud! .alg