Thursday, October 04, 2007

Fire Fire FIRE! !

How do I begin?

There I was just finishing my eleven's (cup of coffee and a biscuit) and going through work with Linda when Sharon, who is working behind me, asks "Should that iron be smoking? " Referring to the iron in my bedroom, where Ellie was busy with some ironing. Ellie had left the iron while she popped to her room to do something.

Linda looked up from what we were working on to go and have a look. In the next moment a flame developed. Linda was shouting for Ellie while smoke filled the room and the fire alarm went off. Rushing back to me as Ellie arrived she breathlessly asked "Do you have a fire extinguisher? "

Sitting helplessly in my wheelchair with my hand off the control, I replied with directions to the device which I bought a few months earlier, thinking I would never use it. Extinguisher in hand made her way back to the scene as smell and noise filled the house.

By this stage Ellie had unplugged the offending device which promptly fell to the floor and continued burning. Using the extinguisher Ellie smothered the rebellious spirit of the shamed iron with blue powder.

Picking up the pieces by intact cord, Ellie finished it off outside.

We were left with smoke and noise and a sense that we were saved by quick thinking and 2kg of blue powder.

Damage: Charred Iron
Burnt Floor
depleted fire extinguisher
Smoke smell


The dejected device


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a scary experience. Thank goodness it wasn't worse. A lesson to all of us as well. Don't leave the iron on. That iron must have had a short. You haven't had it all that long! I find the best irons are National Panasonic. Nola is using one that I bought at least 8 years ago and it hasn't had tlc at all.

Anonymous said...

J! I did tell you " these woman are well! dangerous!steer clear mate! ha!