Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Since being back I have kept busy with all my systems to get them working optimally. I haven't forgotten my promise to tell you more about my hospital "adventure ".

Stoke Mandeville is a big hospital,spreading out over several blocks along Mandeville Road in Aylesbury. The Spinal section has played a key role in its development. Arriving back after 2.5 years was a mixture of feelings. I remembered the good relationships I had forged with patients and staff. I remembered my arrival from Germany by sky ambulance and the room I had for 3 weeks before I moved. I remembered not eating or talking for 6 months. Nurses became friends. Linda visited daily and spent the day with me.Which was my only communication with the world, she was my voice. It was a battle for her as she was fighting breast-cancer and the effects of treatment. When it became too much and the experience finally took its toll her visits reduced. The memory left is a feeling of loneliness and frustration.

Don't misunderstand me. I found a way to smile and beguile my way into many hearts to help me with the emptiness and isolation. I was never fulfilled or happy during my stay but I was driven by a fierce independence that enabled me to leave before it became too difficult. So often patients are drawn in to the life and routine so that to leave is too difficult.

I met a great doctor on this trip. He is my consultant, Mr Dennis Newton,from South Africa! So its not all bad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Im so glad you back with good spirit, keep the funny stuff coming its therapeutic to the mundane drudgery of chaotic IT life. Best to make the moments work though, like Im doing new undefinable styles of music (music?) and will send you an MP3 soon, its not my personal kind of music, but I love to experiment, you know me always trying for something new. Regards Brian Hud